Lower Back Pain After a Car Accident
Lower back pain is one of the most common injuries that result from car accidents. While lower back pain may fade after a few days or weeks, it can last much longer in some cases, causing intense agony for months or more.
If you are suffering from lower back pain after an accident in Georgia, Geiger Legal Group, LLC is here to help. With more than 40 years of experience and millions of dollars recovered on behalf of our clients, we know what it takes to help you seek the full compensation you deserve. Contact us today for your free initial consultation.
Can a Car Accident Cause Lower Back Pain?
Many people recently involved in a car accident suffer from lower back pain. Even low-speed collisions transfer thousands of pounds of force, damaging the body’s bones, muscles, and connective tissues.
Lower back pain is especially common after rear-end, sideswipe, and T-bone accidents. While these collisions are more likely to result in lower back injuries, any car crash can cause lower back pain under the right circumstances.
Some of the most common lower back injuries that result from car accidents include:
- Lumbar strains and sprains — The force from a car accident can cause muscles, tendons, and ligaments in the lower back to stretch beyond their capacity, leading to a strain or sprain.
- Spinal stenosis — The trauma from a car accident can damage the spinal cord, causing the bone channel that houses the spinal nerves to narrow. Spinal stenosis is often the result of a loose bone fragment in the spine or a ruptured disc.
- Herniated discs — The spine’s vertebrae are supported by thin discs that absorb shock. The damage from a car accident can cause the discs’ inner lining to protrude from the outer layer, pressing up against spinal nerves and causing severe pain.
What Helps Lower Back Pain After an Accident?
The lower back pain experienced after a car accident is relatively minor for some. However, if you’ve been more seriously hurt, the pain can be debilitating. Depending on the severity of your injury, some potentially helpful treatments include:
- Over-the-counter pain medications
- Alternating heat and cold packs on the affected area
- Physical therapy
How Long Does Lower Back Pain Last After a Car Accident?
How long your lower back pain lasts after a car accident depends on how badly you were injured. Some people are pain-free after a few days or weeks. Others require long-term treatment before the pain goes away. Seeing a doctor as soon as possible after the accident can help reduce your recovery time.
Compensation Available for Lower Back Pain After an Accident
A personal injury lawyer can help you seek compensation for your lower back pain after a car accident that wasn’t your fault. You may be able to be recover losses such as the following:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Reduced quality of life
Contact Our Personal Injury Lawyers Today
Don’t suffer in silence from lower back pain caused by another driver. You may be able to pursue a settlement for your lower back pain after an accident. Contact Geiger Legal Group, LLC today for a free consultation with a Georgia car accident lawyer.