Canton Catastrophic Injury Lawyer
Have you suffered a catastrophic injury in a traffic collision, slip-and-fall, or other serious accident? If so, your injuries may impact your ability to work, socialize, engage in daily activities, or live independently. High medical costs, reduced household income, and other incidental losses take a financial and personal toll on many injury victims and their families.
However, if someone else’s negligence caused your catastrophic injury, you could be entitled to substantial compensation for your losses. While no amount of money could ever make up for the harm you have suffered, this financial compensation can provide you with the stability and accountability you deserve while you recover.
At Geiger Legal Group, LLC, our founding attorney has served clients in Canton for more than 40 years and has recovered millions of dollars on their behalf. We advocate for the rights of catastrophic injury victims in our community and are prepared to fight for you. Our legal team will take the time to get to know you, answer all your questions, and explain your options thoroughly. Contact us today to learn more about your legal options in a free initial case review with a catastrophic injury attorney.
Examples of Catastrophic Injuries
What is a catastrophic injury? Generally, a catastrophic injury is severe enough to cause permanent damage. Federal law defines a catastrophic injury as one that prevents a victim from keeping a job or earning a living wage.
Some injuries are automatically considered catastrophic due to their life-changing impacts, including those causing total or near-total paralysis. Other common examples of injuries that can be considered catastrophic include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Spinal cord injuries
- Paraplegia or quadriplegia
- Amputation or loss of limb
- Loss of sight or hearing
- Injury to internal organs
- Extensive burns or scarring
- Permanent disfigurement
Common Causes of Catastrophic Injuries
Some of the most common causes of catastrophic injuries include the following:
- Motor vehicle accidents – The violent impact in many motor vehicle crashes is enough to break bones, amputate limbs, damage organs, and more.
- Workplace accidents – Occupational injuries can happen in any workplace. However, catastrophic work injuries are prevalent in industries that involve manual labor, such as construction and agriculture.
- Unsafe premises accidents – When property owners fail to keep their premises reasonably safe and secure for visitors, they can cause those visitors to suffer catastrophic injuries due to slip-and-falls, inadequate security, or unrestrained animal attacks.
- Defective products – Design and manufacturing defects can cause users to suffer catastrophic harm even when using the products as intended.
- Medical malpractice – When doctors, nurses, or other medical practitioners fail to follow appropriate standards of care, they can cause their patients to suffer catastrophic injuries from undiagnosed conditions, infections, or complications.
- Nursing home abuse or neglect – Nursing home administrators or staff who fail to treat residents with the care and respect they deserve put them at risk for catastrophic injuries due to falls, neglect, and other preventable incidents.
- Intentional acts of violence – Some catastrophic injuries are the predictable consequences of deliberate acts of violence. Assault, battery, domestic violence, and other crimes that involve physical injury can lead to devastating injuries.
What to Do After Suffering a Catastrophic Injury
If you have suffered a catastrophic injury in Canton, GA, you can take the following steps to protect your rights and establish a strong foundation for your injury case:
- Seek prompt medical attention to ensure your catastrophic injuries are diagnosed, treated, and included in your official medical record.
- Follow your doctor’s care plan to improve your prognosis and show you are taking your recovery seriously.
- Gather evidence, including photos of the site where you were injured, contact and insurance details from relevant parties, and statements from any eyewitnesses.
- Hang on to your medical bills, pay stubs, and other documentation of your catastrophic injuries and related losses.
- Create a pain journal to record your pain levels and physical limitations you experience due to your catastrophic injuries.
- Watch what you say to the insurance company or any other third parties after the incident.
- Avoid posting online while your injury claim is pending.
- Contact a trusted catastrophic injury lawyer for dependable legal advice.
Statute of Limitations for Personal Injury Lawsuits in Canton, Georgia
Most personal injury lawsuits are resolved through settlements, without anyone ever seeing the inside of a courtroom. But in some high-value injury cases – including many catastrophic injury cases – a victim’s attorney may resort to stronger measures to obtain full and fair compensation.
Like all states, Georgia has a statute of limitations that imposes strict deadlines on how long you have to file a personal injury lawsuit. For most injury cases, you have two years from the date when the injury occurred to sue. If you miss the two-year deadline, you could lose your right to pursue compensation in civil court. This is why it is essential to find a trusted attorney who can identify important deadlines and keep your case on track.
How Can a Catastrophic Injury Attorney in Georgia Help Your Case?+
At Geiger Legal Group, LLC, our catastrophic injury law firm in Canton can help you with your personal injury case by:
- Explaining your legal rights and possible sources of compensation
- Determining the potential value of your catastrophic injury case
- Conducting an independent investigation into the causes of your injuries
- Communicating with insurance companies and other parties on your behalf
- Obtaining medical records, incident reports, and other helpful evidence
- Interviewing eyewitnesses and reliable experts for valuable testimony
- Managing important case documents and deadlines on your behalf
- Filing insurance claims to demand the compensation you are owed
- Taking your case to court if the insurance company refuses to pay
- Representing you at trial and all the way through to appeal if necessary
Contact Geiger Legal Group, LLC Today to Represent Your Catastrophic Injury Case
When you need a serious injury lawyer in Canton, GA, look no further than the legal team at Geiger Legal Group, LLC. Our experienced attorneys can help you demand the full and fair compensation you deserve from the person who hurt you. Contact us today to discuss the details of your catastrophic injury case in a free case review.