Do You Have a Motorcycle Accident Claim?
If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident near Canton, you might be entitled to significant compensation for your losses. All too often, the motorcycle rider pays the highest price for another motorist’s unsafe driving practices. These kinds of wrecks may significantly change your quality of life due to severe physical injuries or psychological trauma. Injuries from motorcycle collisions often require ongoing medical treatment, causing victims to miss work or prevent them from ever working again.
If a recent motorcycle accident has impacted your health and your life, you need to learn about your legal rights. An experienced Canton motorcycle accident lawyer from Geiger Legal Group, LLC can evaluate your situation and explain all your legal options in a free consultation.
Contact us to get started now.
Why Are Motorcycle Crashes More Complicated?
Motorcycle accidents have unique complications and results, which can make filing a claim for compensation more difficult. Some of the complicating factors include:
- More serious injuries. Motorcycles are much smaller in size and weight than other vehicles. They also aren’t surrounded by 4,000 pounds of metal, which makes motorcycle drivers and riders more vulnerable to other cars and trucks on the road. Additionally, motorcycles lack the safety devices that protect occupants in cars and trucks such as airbags and seat belts. These differences mean that motorcyclists often suffer more serious injuries that range from road rash and broken bones to life-threatening and life-altering conditions like paralysis, disfigurement, crushed organs, and brain or spine damage.
- Aggressive insurance companies. Insurance companies tend to want to settle claims for as little money as possible. As such, they often rush to offer a lowball settlement if there’s a chance their negligent client was liable for the accident. In cases involving severe injuries, requiring significant compensation, insurance adjusters can be particularly aggressive. They may try to take advantage of victims who are distraught and confused right after a motorcycle wreck. They will use anything you say against you to try to reduce the amount you’re owed or avoid paying you altogether.
- Complex wrongful death claims. Unfortunately, motorcycle crashes have a higher chance of resulting in fatalities than car accidents. On top of that, it’s often more complicated to win a wrongful death claim in motorcycle accident cases. The victim’s family will have to show that another party (for example, another driver) was at fault for the crash. This is often challenging when the victim cannot speak for themselves, and insurance companies may rely on misperceptions and stereotypes to shift blame.
Motorcyclists are typically extra cautious because they understand the risks from inattentive, reckless, or impaired motorists. Sadly, insurance companies and courts often conclude otherwise. This is why it is crucial to have a skilled personal injury attorney who can mount a convincing argument and fight for the full compensation you (and your family) need to recover.
Why Should You Hire a Motorcycle Accident Attorney in Canton, GA?
There are many reasons you should hire a motorcycle accident attorney in Canton, GA. The first being, arguing with insurance companies and dealing with medical bills after a wreck can be frustrating when you are just trying to get back on your feet. With all of this on your plate, it’s hard to muster the energy to fight for what you truly deserve. The good news is that you don’t have to do it alone.
Our motorcycle accident law firm can help you in many ways, including:
- Explaining your legal options. If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle collision through no fault of your own, you have legal rights. Our knowledgeable motorcycle accident attorney can evaluate your case, explain your legal options, and help you choose the best path forward. This all begins with a free, no-obligation consultation.
- Gathering vital evidence. To win a motorcycle accident case, you must prove that someone else was liable for your injuries. You will need evidence like a police report including any citations issued to the other driver or drivers, pictures from the scene, and witness testimony. Our lawyer will work quickly to gather evidence from the accident scene on your behalf. We can also work with accident reconstruction experts to show exactly how the crash happened.
- Easing the stress of paperwork. Victims usually have to jump through bureaucratic red tape and file piles of paperwork as part of a motorcycle accident injury claim. On top of that, forms typically have different requirements, standards, and deadlines. You can easily miss out on the compensation you deserve if something is filled out incorrectly or submitted late. Our experienced motorcycle accident attorney can ease this burden by managing all paperwork in your claim.
- Negotiating on your behalf. Never speak with the at-fault party’s insurance company or try to negotiate with them without consulting your attorney. Insurance companies are incentivized to pay out as little as possible, and their adjusters are trained to know what they can use to their advantage. Even if you say something as small as “I’m sorry,” they can twist your words to reduce or avoid paying you. However, skilled motorcycle accident lawyers know a lot about the tactics that insurance companies use. Our team will manage negotiations with the insurance company on your behalf and demand the maximum compensation you need.
- Fighting for your rights. If the other party won’t agree to a fair settlement, our motorcycle collision attorney will be ready to take your claim to court. We will present a strong case on your behalf and advocate aggressively for you at trial.
At Geiger Legal Group, LLC, we always place your best interests first. We are here to answer your questions and give you advice every step of the way. Ultimately, your satisfaction is our top priority.
How Is Fault Determined in a Canton Motorcycle Wreck?
Georgia’s modified comparative negligence law means that you can only get compensation if someone else was more at fault for a crash than you were. If it’s determined that you were 50 percent or more responsible for the accident, you won’t be able to recover any monetary damages.
If insurers or the courts decide you were at least partially responsible for the accident up to 49 percent, you can still recover money damages. But the award would be reduced by your percentage of the blame.
For example, if damages were $10,000 and you were 20 percent to blame, the at-fault party would owe you $8,000.
To maximize your potential financial recovery, it’s especially important to compile thorough evidence to prove liability and damages. This may include:
- Medical records that prove the extent of your injuries and show they were directly caused by the crash, instead of a preexisting medical condition
- Witness accounts of what they saw and what they think caused the crash
- Expert testimony, such as traffic specialists who can re-create the circumstances of the accident
- Photographs of the road conditions at the time of the crash, including traffic lights, skid marks, warning signs, construction, bad weather, or other adverse road conditions
- Video footage of the accident, whether from witnesses or surveillance cameras in the area
- Pictures of your physical injuries and property damage to your bike, other vehicles, or stationary items near the crash, along with the helmet, jacket, pants, or other road gear you were wearing when the accident happened
- The official accident report is available from the police if they were called to the accident scene (and you should always call 911 after a motorcycle collision)
- Reports or articles that show manufacturer defects for the motorcycle or other vehicles that might lead to a product liability claim
- Phone records of the other driver that show he or she was texting, talking on the phone, sending an email, or posting on social media at the time of the accident
- Statements from other drivers involved in the wreck
- An evaluation of vehicle damages and cost of repairs
- Proof of typical income and estimation of lost pay while recuperating from the crash
Gathering the evidence needed to support your claim is time-consuming and complicated. But our attorneys know what to look for and how to craft a strong case. When you trust our law firm to handle your case, we do all the legwork so you can focus on what’s most important ─ your recovery.
What Compensation Can Be Recovered After a Motorcycle Crash in Georgia?
With the severity of injuries that motorcycle wrecks can cause, it’s vital to assess how much money you’ll need to cover both current care and long-term consequences.
While the amount of money you could recover depends on the details of your case, compensation typically covers things like:
- Current and future medical bills
- Lost wages during recovery and reduced ability to earn in the future
- Pain and suffering
- Costs involved with motorcycle repairs or replacement
- Disability accommodations or expenses for special equipment
If the accident was fatal, it’s impossible to adequately make up for the loss of a loved one with money. However, you might be eligible for compensation to help cover some of the outstanding financial consequences of the accident, such as:
- Funeral costs and burial expenses
- Loss of companionship
- Outstanding medical bills
- Loss of the deceased person’s future income
- Loss of services performed by the deceased
Statute of Limitations on Motorcycle Accident Claims in Georgia
Under Georgia law, you must file your motorcycle accident injury claim in court within two years of the accident date. If a motorcycle accident resulted in the death of a family member, you have two years from the date of your loved one’s death to file a wrongful death lawsuit.
Once the statute of limitations has expired, it’s generally impossible to sue for damages. This is why you need to contact a motorcycle accident lawyer in Canton as soon as possible after your crash.
Talk to Our Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Canton, GA Now
Motorcycle crashes can be catastrophic. You don’t need the added stress of getting the runaround from an insurance company when you’re struggling to heal from your injuries.
Instead of trying to manage this burden on your own, trust the experienced motorcycle injury lawyers at the Geiger Legal Group, LLC. Our compassionate attorneys have been serving accident victims in Canton and North Georgia for years. We have the necessary skills and resources to tackle your case.
To schedule a free consultation about your Canton motorcycle accident, contact us today.