Georgia Car Accidents Result in 15 Dead Over New Year’s Weekend
Motor vehicle crashes claimed the lives of 15 people throughout the New Year’s weekend, according to an article in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Holiday accident statistics show that’s just one fatality less than the same time last year. The collisions happened throughout the state, especially in Cobb County.
Most Common Causes of Collisions During the Holidays
Though alcohol is frequently a suspect in New Year’s crashes, officials say most of this year’s accidents were due to speeding and distracted driving. In fact, alcohol was only a factor in one wreck.
The types of crashes varied from single-car accidents to deadly head-on collisions. Cars also fatally struck pedestrians and bicyclists during the holiday, which was monitored from Thursday, Dec. 30 to 11:59 p.m. on Dec. 31.
Overall, the holiday season is always a dangerous time for drivers. The most common causes of Georgia accidents during the holidays include:
- Traffic congestion: Georgia is no stranger to traffic, particularly in the Atlanta metro region. Busy roads mean an increased chance of motor vehicle crashes.
- Slick roads: Bad weather such as rain, snow, ice, and fog can make urban and rural roads dangerous for everyone. Drivers must exercise caution in inclement weather, particularly if they are inexperienced in driving in extreme winter conditions.
- Impaired drivers: The holidays are a time for celebration, which sometimes means people indulge in drinking more than usual. Driving under the influence is illegal in Georgia, and motorists may face criminal and civil penalties when their actions endanger or injure others.
- Driver fatigue: Holiday trips can be long, so drivers must be vigilant about getting rest and taking breaks when tired. Taking shifts with another driver in the car is a smart way to avoid drowsy driving crashes.
- Road rage: Let’s face it. The holidays can be stressful as well as joyous. Motorists need to be careful about how added stress affects their driving. Minor offenses such as getting cut off in traffic might provoke aggressive responses that drivers might normally shake off as a minor irritation.
Talk to Our Experienced Car Accident Attorneys in Georgia Today
Did you or someone you love suffer serious injuries in a car crash? You need to speak to a personal injury attorney right away.
Geiger Legal Group, LLC is a law firm with experienced accident attorneys in Georgia. We provide top-notch legal representation to injured people in Canton, Cherokee County, and the surrounding communities.
When you work with us, you get a team that focuses exclusively on you and your needs. We’ll listen to your story and develop a legal strategy to pursue maximum compensation for your losses. Getting results is our mission, and we’ll fight for the outcome you need and deserve.