Losing a family member due to someone else’s actions is a tragedy. In addition to the grief and anger you are likely feeling, their sudden passing can leave you under considerable financial stress. Funeral and burial costs have skyrocketed in recent years, and you may have outstanding medical bills and less household income. At Geiger Legal Group, LLC, we want to help you recover compensation for the harm the at-fault party caused you and your family.
Our lawyers have decades of experience helping ordinary people who’ve suddenly found themselves in positions like yours. We understand how a wrongful death affects those left behind. While a lawsuit will not undo the tragedy of a family member’s death, it can help you pay your bills and find the closure you deserve. Let us help you find this justice and accountability.
Call us or visit our contact page today for a free consultation with an Alpharetta wrongful death lawyer.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death in Alpharetta
Georgia law defines wrongful death as any death caused by a crime or someone’s negligent actions. That definition covers a wide range of acts and accidents, such as:
- Car accidents– All drivers are legally obligated to follow traffic regulations and take reasonable steps to avoid accidents. If a driver kills someone in a crash, the victim’s family likely has cause for a wrongful death lawsuit.
- Truck accidents– Large truck accidents can be particularly devastating due to the size of commercial vehicles. Truck drivers, trucking companies, and other parties could all be liable if they cause a fatal truck accident.
- Motorcycle accidents– Drivers often do not give motorcyclists the care they are due, making an accident more likely. If a motorcyclist dies in a crash, their surviving family members might have grounds for a wrongful death claim against whoever caused the accident.
- Bicycle accidents– Cyclists have a right to use public roads. Unfortunately, many drivers do not respect the rights of cyclists or give them enough space, which can lead to fatal accidents.
- Pedestrian accidents– Pedestrians are particularly vulnerable in the event of traffic collisions. Even relatively small passenger cars can inflict catastrophic injuries on pedestrians that often prove fatal.
- Medical malpractice– According to a study from Johns Hopkins Medicine, medical errors are the third-leading cause of death in the United States. Holding doctors, hospitals, or other healthcare professionals accountable for wrongful death can be challenging. An experienced attorney can help you pursue compensation for a family member’s untimely passing.
- Defective products– Many faulty products can cause fatal injuries, from defective cars and dangerous drugs to unsafe children’s toys and toxic chemicals. Because the companies that make these products have significant legal resources, it can be challenging to hold them liable for wrongful death without the help of an experienced, aggressive attorney.
- Accidents from unsafe premises– Property owners must keep their premises free from potentially dangerous hazards. Business owners have a further responsibility to regularly check for hazards on their property. If someone in your family died due to a property owner’s negligence, you might have cause for a wrongful death claim.
- Intentional acts of violence– If someone dies from a gunshot wound, stabbing, or other physical assault, the victim’s family can file a wrongful death suit against the attacker. It does not matter whether the attacker meant to kill the victim, only whether they acted negligently or with the intent to injure. However, a wrongful death lawsuit is separate from criminal charges and cannot lead to prison time for the attacker.