The Process of an Alpharetta Car Accident Claim
If you have been hurt in a car accident in Alpharetta, the process for filing an injury claim will typically involve:
- Reporting the crash: Georgia requires any car accident be reported to local authorities immediately if there’s an injury or death, or if there’s $500 or more in property damage. Calling emergency services should be your first action after any car accident. State law also requires anyone involved in the accident to give their name, contact information, and insurance information to every other party involved in the accident. You should also remain at the scene unless you require immediate medical treatment. Failing to stay could put you in violation of state law.
- Once you’ve reported the accident, cooperate with the police as much as you’re required to do so. However, be careful about admitting fault in the accident. Even a simple “I’m sorry” could be twisted into an admission of guilt down the line. Be truthful with the authorities, but answer only what you’re asked and don’t speculate about things you don’t know. Avoid speaking with the other driver’s insurance company until you’ve talked to an attorney.
- Taking pictures at the scene: Document the crash scene as much as you can before you go. Take pictures of your car, the other car, the surrounding area, any obstacles that might have been in your way or the other driver’s way, etc. Make sure to get contact information from anyone who may have witnessed the accident.
- Seeking medical treatment: After any collision, see a doctor immediately, even if you feel OK at first. Some serious car accident injuries take time to show, and the sooner you begin treatment, the better your outcome is likely to be. Be sure to follow your doctor’s instructions precisely and to save any records from whatever treatments you undergo.
- Contacting an Alpharetta attorney: The sooner you reach out to a lawyer, the better. An Alpharetta car accident lawyer can review your case and let you know if you might have a claim against another driver or some other party who was responsible for the crash. The sooner they can begin their investigation, the better chance you have of succeeding in your claim.
It is important to be aware of the statute of limitations for filing your claim. There are two relevant time limits when it comes to car accident claims in Georgia. The statute of limitations for personal injury claims is two years, while the time limit for property damage claims is four years. Your accident may involve both personal injuries and property damage.
Getting started on your claim quickly means there’s less risk of missing important deadlines. If you file a lawsuit after the statute of limitations has passed, the court will be barred from hearing your case unless a very narrow exception applies.
Understanding Georgia’s Fault Laws
In Georgia, determining fault in a car accident involves a concept known as proportional comparative negligence. This means that each person involved in an accident is held at fault proportionally to their role in causing the crash.
In terms of compensation, this means that multiple drivers can be held partially at fault for a crash, and they’ll pay out accordingly.
What this means for plaintiffs is that you want to show that the other driver is solely at fault for the accident if at all possible. Car accident attorneys use police records, crash reconstruction teams, photo and video evidence, witness testimony, and other information to show who is at fault in a crash.
Working with an Alpharetta Car Accident Lawyer at Geiger Legal
We understand how challenging it can be to get back on your feet after an accident. That’s why our car accident lawyers at Geiger Legal Group, LLC, are committed to seeking every dollar our clients are entitled to. With our help, you could recover compensation to cover present and future medical bills, lost wages and future income, damages for pain and suffering, physical therapy expenses, money to modify your home if you’re disabled in some way due to the crash, property damage, and more.
When you hire Geiger Legal Group, LLC, you know you’re getting an experienced, dependable law firm with a strong track record of successful verdicts and settlements. We can evaluate your case, investigate your claim, calculate the full extent of your losses, file the paperwork, and handle any communication with the other party’s insurance representatives, all while you focus on getting back to normal.
Contact an Experienced Alpharetta Car Crash Attorney Now
Have you recently been involved in an accident in the Alpharetta area? Are you ready to speak to a car accident lawyer? Call the Alpharetta car accident lawyers at the Geiger Legal Group, LLC, now to get started.
We’re happy to meet you at a location that’s convenient for you or speak with you remotely, whether it’s your home, the hospital, or our offices. Don’t wait until it is too late to get the legal assistance you deserve.