Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Woodstock, GA
Motorcyclists face some of the most serious dangers on the road. A vehicle suddenly braking in front of them, loose pavement, or a careless driver who fails to check their blind spots can cause catastrophic injuries or even death to an unsuspecting motorcyclist. Motorcyclists lack the protection afforded by a steel frame and passenger vehicle safety features like seatbelts and airbags. In a moment, a biker’s freedom can suddenly transform into a life-altering event.
At Geiger Legal Group, LLC, our dedicated Woodstock motorcycle accident lawyers have more than 40 years of experience successfully representing accident victims who were seriously harmed by the negligent actions of others. We know all too well how insurance companies will try to blame motorcyclists for their own injuries due to their personal biases. Our seasoned Woodstock injury lawyers will fight tirelessly for the maximum compensation available for your claim. We can discuss your legal rights and options during a free case review. Contact us today to get started.
Why Do You Need a Woodstock Motorcycle Accident Attorney After a Crash?
If you or a loved one was seriously injured in a motorcycle accident, the last thing you need to be worrying about is filing a claim with an insurance company that is trying to undercut your recovery.
Motorcycle accidents overrepresent traffic fatalities in Georgia. According to the Georgia Department of Public Health, motorcycle crashes only represent about 1% of crashes in the state but account for about 7% of traffic fatalities. The numbers are even worse for Cherokee County. According to the Georgia Governor’s Office of Highway Safety, for the most recent year for which data is available, there were 12 traffic fatalities in Cherokee County, but 2 of those were for motorcyclists. This represents nearly 17% of the annual traffic fatalities for the county. Because motorcyclists and their passengers are particularly vulnerable in a collision, they are more likely to suffer severe injuries or death than other types of accident victims. All of these statistics show how devastating motorcycle accidents can be. During this challenging time, you need and deserve an experienced Woodstock lawyer who will safeguard your rights.
If you have been injured or your loved one was killed or seriously injured, our motorcycle accident lawyers in Woodstock can:
- Thoroughly investigate your accident – Our rapid response team can quickly get to work on your case. We can identify all potential causes of your accident and those legally responsible for it. We can also interview crucial witnesses and secure their testimony to support your claim.
- Manage all communications – Our team can manage all communications related to your claim. We can further protect your claim by preventing you from making any recorded statements to the insurance company that would undoubtedly be used against you. We will guard you against aggressive insurance adjusters who would try to take advantage of you while you’re at your most vulnerable.
- Explain your rights – Our motorcycle accident lawyers can explain the deadlines that apply to your case. For example, most motorcycle accident claims must be filed within two years of the accident. By knowing this information, you can decide how you would like to move forward with your case.
- Accurately calculate the value of your claim – Our motorcycle accident lawyers in Woodstock will consider all of the ways the motorcycle accident has affected your life and fight for you to be fairly and fully compensated for these losses.
- Aggressively negotiate with insurance companies – Most personal injury claims settle out of court. Still, it is vital that you have an aggressive negotiator on your side who can convince the insurance company of the full value of your claim.
- Fight for you at trial – If a fair settlement cannot be reached, we are not afraid to take your case to trial. Our trial attorneys will see a case through from beginning to end.
What Are the Leading Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Woodstock?
Some of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Distracted or inattentive drivers
- Failing to yield
- Failing to check blind spots
- Drunk or drugged drivers
- Unsafe road design or conditions
Georgia’s Helmet and Motorcycle Laws
Georgia has a universal helmet law, which means that all drivers and riders must wear a helmet. Additionally, the bike must include a windshield or the motorcycle occupants must wear eyewear. Footwear is also required.
Motorcyclists must follow the same traffic laws that other types of motorists must follow.
Steps to Take After a Motorcycle Accident in Woodstock, GA
Below, our motorcycle accident lawyers describe the steps to take after a motorcycle accident in Woodstock, Georgia. If you are seriously injured and unable to complete any of the steps, try to contact a friend or family member who can do the following:
- Report the accident. Call 9-1-1 and request an ambulance if you were injured. A law enforcement officer will respond and complete an accident report. Once the report is ready, request a copy of it. You will need it to make a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company.
- Seek medical attention. Get medical treatment for any injuries that you notice right away. Even if you think you’re not injured, it is unlikely that you will walk away from a motorcycle accident without a scratch. It might be best to get checked out anyway. Early medical intervention may help minimize your injuries and document the connection between the accident and your injuries.
- Take pictures and notes. Photograph your motorcycle and injuries, the other vehicle, road and weather conditions, skid marks, and any other relevant piece of information. Write down what you remember about the accident as soon as you can while your memory is fresh. Also, write down the names and contact information for any witnesses.
- Reach out to an experienced Woodstock motorcycle accident attorney. You do not have to handle everything on your own. A lawyer can protect your legal rights while you focus on your injuries. The insurance company will have its adjusters and lawyers working to protect its interests. You deserve to have someone working just as hard to fight for the rightful compensation you deserve.
Possible Compensation After a Motorcycle Crash
Motorcyclists may suffer from various serious injuries that can have a devastating physical, emotional, and financial impact on their lives. Some of the most common types of motorcycle accident injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injuries – Even if wearing a helmet, you may still suffer from a severe brain injury. 91% of the motorcyclists who were killed in motorcycle crashes were wearing a helmet, according to the Georgia Governor’s Office of Highway Safety. Those who were not killed in motorcycle crashes may have sustained a traumatic brain injury. These injuries can result in life-altering impairments, including to their motor, cognitive, and emotional functions.
- Spinal cord injuries – Many motorcyclists are ejected from their vehicles during a crash with a larger passenger vehicle. This sudden ejectment can cause a motorcycle to land on a hard surface like the road or the other vehicle, which can result in damage to the spinal column or paralysis. Many motorcycle accident victims spend the rest of their lives in wheelchairs and never fully recover from these severe injuries.
- Fractures – Due to the sudden force of many motorcycle accidents and that motorcyclists can be thrown into a guard rail, other vehicle, or the road, motorcyclist accident victims often sustain fractures and other severe orthopedic injuries.
- Road rash – This misnomer suggests a mild injury, but road rash is actually a very painful injury that many motorcycle accident victims suffer when their bare skin scrapes across the pavement. This type of injury can result in the loss of skin to the bone and can embed dirt and debris into the wound, leading to possible infections, burns, and other complications.
These severe injuries can result in exorbitant medical bills and a life of continued care. If another party’s negligence caused you harm, you might be entitled to financial compensation for your:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life and damage to your personal relationships
- Costs to repair or replace your motorcycle
- Lost income and lost earning capacity if you are unable to return to work after the accident
- Services you have to hire someone to tend to that you can no longer handle because of your injuries, such as childcare or transportation
- Past and future medical treatment, including costs for hospitalization, surgeries, medicine, doctor visits, and other medical services
When you schedule a free, no-obligation case consultation with our Woodstock motorcycle accident lawyers, we can give you a better idea about the potential compensation that might be available for your claim.
Contact Our Woodstock Motorcycle Accident Attorneys Today
If you were injured in a motorcycle accident, contact our Woodstock motorcycle accident attorneys can help. Our focus is on helping real people just like you recover maximum compensation for their injuries, not in the number of cases. We offer a free consultation to explain your legal rights and options. Contact us today to learn more.